Google Maps as we all know is the industry leader when it comes to mapping for many reasons, but mostly because of the amazing quality and accuracy of maps that remains unmatched on a global scale. Unfortunately, for years, users have been unable to use Google Maps without an Internet connection. Not only was this a huge obstacle for travelers with no local SIM card and data plan, it also made searching for places slower because of the bottleneck introduced by the need to go to the Internet to check.
Fortunately, Google has recently changed this by introducing offline maps to Google Maps for Android and the feature is coming soon to the iOS version of the app as well, so iOS users should be in expectation as the update will soon be pushed to your device.
Tip: The biggest size for an offline map is 50km x 50km
- Download Latest Android Google Maps (versions after 9.17 support the new feature)
You cannot download a whole country (like you can on rival apps like Here Maps), but you still get a fairly large chunk of land available for download. You can download areas with sizes of up to 31 x 31 miles (50 x 50 kilometers), and you can have as many of those chunks saved for offline use. What this means is that you can basically download a whole city for offline use. The offline maps will be active for 30 days and then they will be automatically updated for the latest informations.
So how do you do it? How do you download offline maps for Android? At this point, we will be guiding you step by step on how to go about it.
1. Here is how the start screen of Google Maps looks like
2. Search for a place (usually a city) that you want to download for offline use
3. This is what appears after the search, now tap on the bottom area to reveal more options and click on the Download button
4. Select the area you want to download for offline use
5. Name the offline area and wait for the download to finish. You're done!
6. You can also tap on the hamburger button in the top left corner of Google Maps and click on offline areas to see the full list of maps that you've downloaded
7. We have a few on our phone already! What do you have?