Tecno W4 is Tecno’s first phone to ship with / run on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) out of the box. If you are an Android phone user like me who can’t do without rooting, this guide will teach you how to root your Tecno W4 if the latest version of Kingroot apk app doesn’t work for you.
How To Root Tecno W4 Using Twrp Recovery
- Install VCOM drivers on your PC using the manual method here or go here to use Pdanet method
- Download SuperSU 2.66.zip here.
- Copy SuperSU.zip to both root of SD card and internal storage
- Download TWRP recovery for Tecno W4 Marshmallow here.
- Now, switch off the phone completely (still with battery inside)
- Flash the Twrp recovery.img to the phone using SP Flash tool. See how to flash/ install custom recovery using Sp flashtools at http://www.techvillaz.com/2015/12/how-to-install-custom-recovery-on.html?m=1
- After flashing or installing Twrp recovery, boot the phone into recovery mode using Volume up button + Power button for 5sec.
In TWRP, if you get a prompt asking you to swipe to allow TWRP modify the system partition then go ahead and swipe. To swipe, place your finger on the green circle then slide it to the right
- In TWRP recovery, tap Install
- Navigate to the location of the SuperSU.zip and select it
- Swipe to confirm flashing of SuperSU.zip and wait till flashing is complete.
- Reboot the phone normally
- Confirm Root by installing and running Root Checker